Cosmetic dental implants are well worth the money and healing time if they are taken care of so they last. Dental implants are a significant investment that you want to protect. Research shows that dental implants have a success rate between 95-98% and can last a lifetime when certain precautions are taken before and after the dental implant placement. At Nashville Center for Aesthetic Dentistry in Tennessee, we want to do everything we can to prevent cosmetic dental implant failure. By following the general steps below, you can help the likelihood of success for your implants.
What to check for before dental implant placement:
- Visit with Dr. Dennis Wells so he can check for the health factors below and discuss your cosmetic dental implant options
- Adequate bone density is necessary for implant success (Bone grafts and mini implants are sometimes an option)
- Bruxism/Teeth Grinding can decrease implant success rates (If you know you grind your teeth, we can discuss other options)
- Oral health is important—periodontal disease can stop implant healing
- Poor overall health can slow or prevent dental implant healing (smoking, alcohol, and Diabetes have been shown to decrease success)
What to do after dental implant placement:
- Carefully follow Dr. Dennis Wells’s directions during your healing period
- Contact Dr. Dennis Wells immediately if significant pain or swelling occurs
- Maintain good overall health (especially during the healing process)
- Avoid hard foods that would damage normal teeth (nut shells, ice, etc.)
- Consistently brush and floss teeth twice daily/bi-annual dentist cleaning
The most crucial step in protecting your new teeth is to maintain excellent oral hygiene so that periodontal disease does not occur. When good oral and overall health is maintained, cosmetic dental implants have a much greater likelihood of lasting permanently. To learn more about how to prevent cosmetic dental implant failure and to ensure protection of your implant dentistry investment, contact Nashville Center for Aesthetic Dentistry in Tennessee to schedule an initial consultation.