What are Dental Veneers?Tooth veneers are a solution that can improve smiles and self-esteem. They look like natural teeth and are custom-made thin coverings made from porcelain or composite resin material added to the outside of the tooth to improve appearance.
Types of Dental VeneersThe two most common types of veneers are:
Porcelain VeneersThese veneers are typically stronger and last longer than the composite resin version. They look natural, are custom-made to fit your teeth, and are usually more expensive.
Composite Resin VeneersComposite resin veneers are made from a tooth-colored resin, are easily fixable if damaged, and generally cost less than their porcelain counterparts. Both types of veneers require some reshaping of the tooth or teeth before placing them. You should make an appointment to speak with your dentist about veneers and your unique needs.
Dental Veneer ProcedureThe whole application process usually takes three dental appointments:
- The first is an initial consultation to diagnose any issues and may come up during a treatment plan.
- The second is for prepping the teeth by removing ½ a millimeter of enamel, then making an impression of the tooth that will receive the veneer.
- The final visit includes the placement, and first, a dentist will temporarily place the veneer on the tooth to ensure the color and fit is correct, and make adjustments as needed. Once it is ready to go, a specialized cement is used to bond it to your tooth.
Dental Veneer BenefitsWhy are dental veneers are worth getting?
- They are tooth-colored to look natural
- Do not stain easily
- Less invasive than other dental restorative alternatives
- Resist decay and cavities better than natural teeth
- Enhance smiles which in turn improves self-esteem