Who is a good candidate for Veneers?
You need to be in good overall dental health to get porcelain veneers, therefore outstanding issues will need to be fixed first. An evaluation at Nashville Center for Aesthetic Dentistry – Dr. Dennis Wells will examine your mouth, to make sure you don’t have hidden issues, like tooth decay, and they may also take X-rays, to ensure tooth strength. Some minor alignment problem is fine, but for more seriously crooked teeth, it’s likely you’ll need to get them straightened before you can go this route. Anyone who grinds their teeth at night should seriously consider getting a mouth guard, to prevent damage to their veneers. Tip: If you are not getting veneers on all your teeth, it’s a good idea to get your natural teeth whitened before you and your dentist choose the shade of your veneers. You’ll need touch-up whitening of your unveneered teeth every year or two, but this will help ensure that all your teeth match.
What are the Pros and Cons of Dental Veneers?
- Porcelain veneers are thought to be “permanent,” lasting about 15–20 years.
- Veneers can make teeth look close to perfect. They can correct small gaps and alignment issues quicker than braces or clear aligners, and for that reason, they are sometimes referred to as “instant orthodontics.”
- Porcelain veneers are stain-resistant.
- They are translucent which makes them look similar to natural teeth.
- Veneers are highly customizable, with many shades to choose from.
- You can get veneers for as few or as many teeth as you need to create a brighter smile.
- They can fix gums by making teeth more equal to the size of gums when you smile.
- Likely a bit of your natural tooth enamel has to be filed down to fit the veneer, which means the process is irreversible. It can also increase tooth sensitivity.
- Veneers can sometimes look too perfect. You may need some slight imperfections, to look more natural.
- Porcelain veneers can hide a lot, but not major underlying issues.
- If you grind your teeth at night, you’ll need to invest in a mouthguard after placement.
- If veneers crack or chip, they can’t be repaired—they’ll need to be fully replaced.
- Veneers cost quite a bit more than Invisalign + teeth whitening, but the results are much more dramatic result.
Contact Nashville Center for Aesthetic Dentistry – Dr. Dennis Wells. Make an appointment to discuss porcelain tooth veneers and a treatment plan that is right for you.
Location: (Tap to open in Google Maps)